Today I had received into an interesting CRM error after I imported a CRM organization. I got the following error when I was trying to navigate to CRM homepage, after the CRM organization was successfully imported.
Record is Unavailable
The requested record was not found or you do not have sufficient permissions to view it.
There are a lot posts about the reasons: Security roles, permission, etc. And I don’t want to create another posts…
But I need the solution:
The solution was actually quite simple, you just have to reboot your IIS server after you have imported a CRM organization. I got stumbled upon this error at least twice recently, so I thought I should blog it in case that in the case that you happen to run into this error too.